Elder Van Boerum

Elder Van Boerum

Monday, September 22, 2014

Typhoon Aftermath

I'm just copying my email this week from a letter to my mission pres. 
As you know, our area was hit very hard by the typhoon. After spending the night in Milaor, Elder Lapana and I felt that we needed to go straight to visit the members in our area. I don't think that anybody had warned them of what was coming or that they could evacuate. We stopped briefly at our apartment to make sure there wasn't too much damage, then immediately went back out. Luckily, none of our members were hurt, but some of them received some really serious damage to their homes, so we immediately went to work cleaning and doing what we could. Wednesday was mostly spent visiting as many members as we could so we could assess who needed the most help soonest, and we based the rest of our week on what we saw. We spent every day out cleaning up the damage for our members, and despite not getting any lessons, I feel the work we were able to do was just as important. Several members were extremely grateful for our efforts and it was a great chance for us to show our love for them. We had some really great experiences, and one of the elderly members couldn't stop talking about us being their strength after the storm.
As Sunday was coming, we knew we were going to be the speakers in church. We had picked topics that we thought would help the branch, mine being gossiping. But in the aftermath of the typhoon, I felt impressed to change it. We've felt a lot of contention in the branch between members and even towards us at times. So I chose a new talk. I wanted to base it on President Uchtdorf's talk "The Merciful Obtain Mercy". I talked to the members about how now, more than ever, it is so important for them to come together and be one by putting aside old grudges and personal problems and recognizing that no one is perfect, especially us missionaries, and that we all rely on Christ. I began by saying I had prayed a lot about this, and that I wanted them to try and feel the spirit as I spoke plainly to them. I asked them to forgive us for anything we may have done to offend them, and to forgive the other members for their mistakes. At first I felt there was no effect from my talk; one member did thank me, but one Tatay was still angry with President Paloma for not taking action before the typhoon and not visiting the members after and we still felt a little bitterness towards us from the branch president. But during priesthood meeting, it was decided that we needed to all visit the members as a priesthood body. When some made objections that their were no vehicles, one member offered to drive us all in his car. So after church, we got together to visit. I could still feel some slight discomfort among the brethren. I still feel like what happened after is a small miracle. As we went from house to house, visiting with the members and seeing the damage done, I saw them all becoming close and interacting with each other. Some who earlier that day would hardly speak to each other were now laughing with each other. They began to make plans together for how to aid each member that was affected and when and how to start, they being the ones taking charge instead of relying on us. When we visited the Tatay who was mad with President, he took President Paloma aside and apologized to him for his behavior earlier and showed so much gratitude for the service we had given earlier in the week and for the visit from the priesthood. One of the counselors took an especially active roll, and I think he and President Paloma resolved their differences over the day. I don't believe that I said anything particularly significant during my talk, but I did feel the Spirit testifying to me of it's truth, and I think the members felt it to. I'm so grateful for the support that the Lord gave us yesterday in uniting us as priesthood brethren in San Fernando and helping us feel the Spirit. I think this may be one of the biggest steps forward I've seen in the branch here, and this is just a starting point. They were already discussing plans for future visits and work together and with us. It's hard for me to explain in so short a space what happened, and I apologize for the length of the letter, but it was such an uplifting experience that I don't think I will ever forget. It was a miracle.

7/20/14
 Getting a ride in a dump truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment