Elder Van Boerum

Elder Van Boerum

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Nagfifind kami

Hey everyone! Kumusta kayong lahat?
Well it's been another week and it was another pretty good one. This week we did a lot more work finding new investigators to work on building our teaching pool. It's been slowly getting smaller as we've had to drop some of our investigators or they moved away. The week before their baptism. But that's all ok, because we had a lot of fun doing it and had some really great experiences with sharing the Plan of Salvation and the Restoration. While we were working on finding a referral, we ended up talking to someone whose child died two years ago from cancer. We took the opportunity to share the Plan of Salvation and that he will see his kid again someday. He seemed interested and thanked us for sharing, so I'm really excited to go back and visit him soon.
The tough point this week was mostly getting our investigators to come to church. We visited Angelo and found him drinking with a friend, even though we had taught him the Word of Wisdom a couple weeks ago. He said he knew it was wrong to do, but justified it by saying he's not perfect and that it's just the culture of the Philippines. And while that is true (about the culture. I talked to so many drunks this week and every single one said they wanted to be my friend), we had to sit him down and tell him that he needs to try harder. Saying we aren't perfect gives us no excuse for sinning, but instead simply mocks the Atonement. Angelo tried sharing with us the idea that he can't change himself, so he's mostly waiting for God to change him. 
It reminded me of something that Brigham Young once said concerning faith as a means of action. The situation was one in which he was asked to give someone a priesthood blessing.

When a person requested a priesthood blessing, Brigham Young would ask, “Have you used any remedies?” To those who said no because “we wish the Elders to lay hands upon us, and we have faith that we shall be healed,” President Young replied: “That is very inconsistent according to my faith. If we are sick, and ask the Lord to heal us, and to do all for us that is necessary to be done, according to my understanding of the Gospel of salvation, I might as well ask the Lord to cause my wheat and corn to grow, without my plowing the ground and casting in the seed. It appears consistent to me to apply every remedy that comes within the range of my knowledge, and [then] to ask my Father in Heaven … to sanctify that application to the healing of my body.” 

We can't ask for blessing from God without putting in the effort on our part. We can't change, unless we really want to. And if we really want to, then we will do something about it. If investigators want the blessings of the Gospel, they need to act. If I want to improve as a missionary, I have to study and practice and teach. If anyone wants to improve in any way, simply sitting back, eatin popcorn, and waiting for something to happen is not enough. Ether 12 is a great example of what can happen when we have the faith to act on what we believe. I'm not discounting prayer and the power of blessings of course, but I might as well go into an office building and ask for a paycheck when I have never put in a single minute of work at that place.
I've seen myself grow as a missionary and as a member of this church more in these few months than I have in a long time, because I decided to act and serve a mission, and everyday I act by going out and sharing the Gospel, even when I'm tired, even when I feel sick, even when I've been rejected and laughed at by complete strangers. That action AND the blessings from God have helped me to fulfill my purpose as a missionary. And I'm thankful everyday for that.
I love you all and hope you have another great week!
Elder Van Boerum

3/24/14





No comments:

Post a Comment