Elder Van Boerum

Elder Van Boerum

Sunday, May 25, 2014

San Fernando

Hey everyone! I'm running short on time again because of skyping earlier, but I just wanted to send something really quick.

I just got to my new area last week. It is San Fernando in Naga Zone and I have been called as the new District leader here! The last District Leader here was my second Companion, Elder Asbell and he just went home last week after his two years. From what I have heard so far, San Fernando is one of the toughest and most struggling districts in the mission right now, but there's been a good series of hard working missionaries starting to get things moving again out here, so I'm just hoping to keep moving forward with that! My new companion is Elder Petero from Fiji who just got out of his training and he is great. For being so new in the mission, his Tagalog is really good. One of the harder parts of the area right now is getting used to the new language here, Bikol. The granddaughter of one of our Less Active members always comes up to me and speaks straight Bikol and I can only get a couple of words out of it sometimes. I haven't heard Bikol since I left my first area and I never even learned any there. But I'm up for the challenge of learning that too to try and communicate more effectively here.


So far the work here has been ok. We have a couple of potential baptisms coming up so we are working really hard on that, but we also have to try and balance that out with our work for the Less Active members. That with trying to get used to being a District leader and the new area have made the last week super tiring, but we've started getting some good work in, and I already gave my first District meeting and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! We talked about asking questions and using the scriptures to teach more effectively. My District Leader's message at the end was just about D&C 122 and how trials help us grow, so I encouraged the members of my district to make a list of the trials they've had on their mission and with each trial, list how it has helped them to grow. So far I really like our district, and we will be adding two new sisters into the district this week as they open a new area in San Fernando! So far this transfer has been great and I'm excited to see what I can do here.

Love you all and hope you have another great week!
Elder Van Boerum
 5/12/14

No comments:

Post a Comment